Sunday, January 21, 2018

A Night at The Nell

Last Saturday night I had the privilege of dining at element 47, the superb restaurant located in Aspen’s The Little Nell. The evening was a delectable showcase of the finest food and wine on offer, but perhaps the most memorable part of my night was meeting Master Sommelier, Carlton McCoy, or “Chubby” as he is fondly referred to by his colleagues. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term ‘Master Sommelier’ allow me to provide you with a little background. There are only 149 professionals in the Americas who have earned the prestigious title of Master Sommelier, 236 in the entire world. In order to qualify, you must sit a three-part exam which includes a blind tasting of six wines before a panel in which you must identify the grape, country, region, sub-region, appellation, quality level and exact vintage of the wine! Unsurprisingly, only a miniscule percentage of applicants actually pass. As far as membership goes…it is arguably one of the most exclusive clubs in the world. So you can imagine my excitement when Carlton talked us through the wines he had selected for our evening meal.

To begin, we were served a buttery white burgundy from Meursault (2007, Château de Puligny-Montrachet). I think I’ve officially discovered my new favourite wine! Our mains were paired with a beautiful Syrah from the Rhône Valley (2003, Michel & Stephane Ogier, Cote Rôtie). Following dinner, we were taken downstairs to the Nell’s private cellar. It was a cool, dark room, stocked floor to ceiling with exquisite bottles from all over the world (over 20,000 bottles, we were told!) The ceilings and walls were covered in the illegible scrawl of guests who had written their names in sharpie pen, in an attempt to leave their mark on this underground vinicultural gem.  Of course, I made sure to leave my signature as well! We were told that this room was where the magic really happened. Outstanding food aside, element 47 is renowned for its extraordinary wine program and collection. Remarkably, 10 of the 149 American Master Sommeliers have graduated from The Little Nell, more than any other establishment in the United States.

It was a very special evening and one I will remember for many years to come. I was simply blown away by Carlton’s knowledge of his craft and the passionate way in which he informed and educated his enraptured audience. Despite my limited knowledge of wine, I was thankful that I could at least talk to him about our class!

No comments:

Post a Comment