Wednesday, January 24, 2018

California Grown

As a Northern California native, I spent the better part of my childhood completely unaware of the significance of my home region to the wine industry, and the majority of my adulthood as the ‘go to’ with questions from my East Coast colleagues on where in wine country to visit. It was not until I left Marin that I truly understood the importance of our neighboring county, and how far people travel to visit year after year. Growing up, my siblings and I assumed that the annual harvest day at our family friends at Grace Family Vineyard was all just a big party to make grape juice like our juice boxes, not amazing wine. As I have gotten older I have come to appreciate the richness of this part of the world as it relates to wine, and hope to understand it even better after this class.  


I am taking this class first and foremost so that I can be a better and more knowledgeable steward of California’s wine tradition, and so that I can gain a more complete understanding of this fascinating industry that I have almost unwittingly been raised around. I am also excited to take this class in order to understand how California fits into the global wine market, and where it sets itself apart. I look forward to our great range of guest speakers, and hope that the knowledge I gain from this class will have a lasting impact on the way I think about not just wine’s consumption but its production, distribution and industry nuances.

No comments:

Post a Comment