Friday, January 12, 2018

Chardonnay, All Day

“I’ll have a Chardonnay.”

This is my mom’s alcoholic beverage of choice, except when we have Japanese food and she switches things up with a Sapporo. Despite growing up a mere 20 minutes away from wine country in Northern California, my mother was incredibly unadventurous with her wine choices. I did not even know there were other types of wines until I went to college – Cornell’s School of Hotel Management has a very famous and popular course that is colloquially known just as “Wines 101” I was too intimidated to take such a course since I spent most of college drinking Keystone Lite, vodka crans, and G&Ts. Plus, I thought I didn’t like wine since I wasn’t a fan of Chardonnay.

(So part of the reason I’m here is because I still kick myself for not taking Wines 101.)

My relationship with wine changed after I graduated from college and moved back to Sacramento. A good friend there grew up in Napa and introduced me to the amazing world that is red wine and my personal favorite, Cabernet Sauvignon – love at first sip if you will. My friend had family members that worked in wineries, so our group of friends made numerous trips to Napa to learn about the harvesting and wine making process and taste a seemingly never-ending list of varietals.

I’m here because I want to be adventurous and educated with my wine choices – not reliant on my Cabernet colored comfort zone. Additionally, having worked in the California State Legislature, I worked as a labor policy consultant and spoke with wine industry representatives on the potential impacts of legislation. This caused me to want to learn more about the economics and business of wine and its relationship with government regulation.


Looking forward to the quarter!

No comments:

Post a Comment