Monday, January 15, 2018

The Wine King of Trittenheim

My interest in wine (real wine...I'm looking at you Barefoot Bubbly) can be attributed to my parents, particularly my father. And when I say they love wine, I mean it. My dad was crowned the "Wine King" of Trittenheim, Germany during their annual wine festival (as an American). 

I spent many afternoons growing up sampling grape juice and running through vineyards, and eventually, sampling the fermented kind myself on afternoon winery trips. Wine was featured prominently at the dinner table. And these days when I visit home, I most look forward to my time in the kitchen with my parents, helping with dinner, and of course, enjoying a glass (or two...or three...) of wine. 

Consequently, wine has become a small hobby of mine. There are always new tastes to discover, new ways to pair it with food, new wineries to visit. It satisfies the history nerd, the foodie, and the artist in me. Most importantly, however, it's a hobby best shared with friends.

Why this class then? Besides the obvious answer (I love wine), I'm excited to learn about the business of wine. Visiting a little local winery doesn't explain how and why Kendall Jackson has been featured prominently on about every shelf and every restaurant menu I've ever perused. It doesn't explain where the market is going (more consolidation?) or what it looks like, financially, to grow, process, bottle, and distribute wines. Ultimately, I'm looking to build a better background understanding of the industry itself. Perhaps, it'll spark a desire to get involved in the business i(now or in the faraway future). But certainly, it'll provide a better intellectual foundation for my continued discovery and enjoyment of the world of wine.


Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Wine King of Trittenheim, Germany?
    Now tha requires a live story...

    ReplyDelete