Saturday, January 13, 2018

Wine improves with (my) age

The first wines I ever tried were Midwestern – from my home state of Indiana, and from Michigan where I was interning the summer after my sophomore year of college (when I turned 21 and thought I should become “an adult drinker”).  They were mostly fruit wines, and I learned quickly that while I am a fan of mangoes, I am not a fan of mango wine.

The following school year I studied abroad in Spain, where I gave wine a second chance – and quickly fell in love with big, fruity Riojas.  It was there that I learned about pairing a bottle wine with a great meal, and how much that could enhance the experience.  When I returned to the US, I was interning in Chicago and my boyfriend James was interning in Berkeley, so I flew to California to visit him over the summer.  We took a day trip to Napa, and it was there I discovered Chardonnays, Pinot noirs, and Cabernet sauvignons.  Fast forward 6 years and many more trips to Napa/Sonoma, James and I are now engaged and planning our wedding at Landmark Vineyards in Kenwood (Sonoma) next summer.  (Also pro tip: if you ever want lots of free wine tastings, just go to Sonoma and tell them you’re newly engaged.)

I was so excited to register for this class because I’d like to build the knowledge base of the wine industry from a business perspective to supplement the informal knowledge I’ve gained from tasting rooms and visits to wineries.  I’m also looking forward to better understanding the 3-tier structure and regulatory dynamics - in my previous job at a private equity firm, we invested in a craft brewery and I saw firsthand the complexity of the regulatory environment governing the sale of alcohol.  Furthermore, I am excited to meet my classmates who are also interested in wine and learn more about companies that have been successful in the wine industry through the case discussions and speakers.  I’m looking to pursue something more entrepreneurial / early stage in the next phase of my career and so I am hoping to test whether the wine industry might be a good fit for me.

1 comment:

  1. Feel free to share your perspective on big, fruity Riojas when we cover the rgion in class!

    ReplyDelete