Sunday, January 14, 2018

Blasphemy or Genius?


Growing up in China where drinking is a key element of family gathering, I had access to a variety of alcoholic beverages at a young age at family banquets. Out of curiosity, I had my first sip of baijiu (a high proof Chinese liquor) at a big family dinner to celebrate the New Year Eve. “Atta girl”, My grandfather acclaimed and laughed. “This is absolutely disguising… and adults are weird”, I thought at that time. And I was turning eight that year.

Among wine-related mischievous memories is the one of my 14th birthday party – I mixed a bottle vintage Bordeaux from my dad’s proud collection with Sprite to entertain my friends! “Blasphemy”, my dad frowned. “But honey, she’s creative’, mom whispered into his ears, “it is a beautiful mess”. I’d like to think of that moment as the beginning of my passion for cocktail mixology (or, just to justify my onset alcoholism).

Learning more about wine has always been a personal goal since I graduated from college. I’ve grown to understand my own taste and what type of wines I personally like, but eager to learn more about the ones that I don’t love or haven’t tried before. When it comes to choosing which business school to attend, GSB’s geographic proximity to Napa and Sonoma is one of the many factors I considered. That said, I am excited to not only learn more about the wine industry but also to form new friendships with other wine enthusiasts in this class!

No comments:

Post a Comment