Monday, February 26, 2018

Wine Signed by Astronauts

I was looking for a new recipe to try and was browsing Food and Wine earlier this week. I stumbled upon an article about Moonwalker wine that peaked my interest (Moonwalker Wine). According to the article, the limited edition release from Holman Cellars in Napa, is signed by 3 of the five US living astronauts that walked the moon. It is a Cabernet Sauvignon and the price of a bottle ranges from $120 to $1,490! What I find interesting is that the label and the concept is what seems to be selling. I am assuming the wine is of high quality too but the marketing emphasis is much more on the story behind the label.
Part of the proceeds from the sale will be donated back to Cosmosphere International Science Education Center and Space Museum in Hutchinson, Kansas.

Reading this article ties so much of what we have learned in the class together. We see wines with a story appealing, and demanding a price premium in this case, to consumers now. I was chatting with my sister yesterday after reading this article and decided to do a little experiment with her. Mind you, she is not the biggest wine drinker so she doesn't know many labels and/or the industry. I asked her if she had to chose between a grand cru wine and a wine where astronauts had signed the label, she chose the latter. She asked me what a grand cru was and was much more interested in hearing more about the astronaut signed wine. This proves many of the hypotheses we have discussed in class and reflects the trends we are seeing with consumers today.


No comments:

Post a Comment