Thursday, March 22, 2018

Fergalicious - Definition: Make Some Wines So Tasty.

So...how does one become Fergalicious? I used to believe that the only way was to be up in the gym just working on my fitness (with a witness, of course). But a recent Google of the pop diva has yielded another option: start your own winery. That's precisely what Fergie and her father Pat did in 2006 on a 6-acre estate in Santa Barbara. The vineyard specializes in Syrah, Viognier and Cabernet Sauvignon, and Pat is the viticulturalist while award-winning Joey Tensley (famous for Syrahs) is the winemaker. As for Fergie and her sister Dana? They pitch in with picking (image below) and stomping and helped to design the family-crest label (image below).

Fergie pickin' some grapes:
Image result for ferguson crest wine

Ferguson Crest bottle:
Image result for ferguson crest wine

Fergie also leverages her pop star power to provide PR for the brand, drinking a glass of Ferguson Crest after every concert. The winery started as a passion project for Pat, and though it is still a boutique location, the small-batch wines produced there have earned several local awards and favorable ratings. In fact, one of the signature blends is a big red called - you guessed it - "Fergalicious", and its 2011 vintage earned a rating of 92 on Wine Enthusiast.

Of course, not all critics have classified the wine as totally "T to the A to the S T Y, girl, you tasty." Buzzfeed (a highly reputable news source, to be sure...) released an article in 2013 where a master sommelier tried Fergalicious (along with a cadre of other celebrity wines...who knew there were so many?!) and deemed it "lacking structure and tannins...would be disgusting with food." Yikes.

But Fergie is not doing it for the "Robert Parker perfect score;" she just wants to work on something with her dad. And I respect that. Given the opportunity, I would gladly try a glass of Fergalicious, and during the toast, I know exactly what I would say...

Hit it, Fergie.

Source 1 (winery site)
Source 2 (article)
Source 3 (article)

1 comment:

  1. A couple years ago, on a weekend trip to the central California coast, I was at a small local wine shop/tasting room that specialized in local small batch wines. I came across Ferguson wines and, attracted to the label, I asked the shop owner about it. He gave me the spiel that it was a wine made by Fergie and her dad and they had been steadily perfecting and improving with every vintage. I loved that I couldn't tell it was a celeb-connected wine until I asked about it. It wasn't loud and obnoxious. And honestly, the wine surpassed expectations. I even brought a bottle home!

    ReplyDelete