Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Red Wine and Migraines


When I was 23 I learned that I could no longer drink red wine as it began giving me debilitating (what doctors call “complex”) migraines. I used to LOVE red wine, in fact cabernet sauvignon was my drink of choice before I discovered my first migraine.  And if it was just a harsh headache, I’d treat myself now and then to a glass and pop some Advil, but nope, when I drink red wine half of my body goes numb, I lose vision and can’t speak. So, at least for now the migraines win and there is no future that includes me and red wine consumption, that is at least until doctors get a handle on the causes of migraine headaches, which surprisingly given how many people suffer from them, we know very little about.
Allow me to elaborate. Even though doctors helped me figure out that red wine (and a number of other migraine inducing foods) were in fact causing my migraines (via a system of elimination) they really can’t explain what exactly it is in red wines that causes my body to react the way it does.  There are hypotheses that it is the tannins in the wine and others who say the histamines are to blame but they do not know for sure which component causes what reaction in each individual.  
So, if you ever happen to get a crazy headache after drinking too much vino (not to be confused with a hangover, trust me you will know the difference) try taking a break from red wine and seeing if you like the other 37 million US migraine sufferers are sensitive to a migraine inducing food/drink. Don’t worry if you are one of these people – luckily white wine exists and causes none of the migraine effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment