Saturday, March 3, 2018

Sweet and Savory

HELP - if anyone has ever seen or knows how to buy a case of the wine pictured below, PLEASE let me know. I haven't been able to track it down in the US. Or if anyone has any tips on tools/apps to find less common bottles, let me know!


That aside, when is the last time you were served a sweet wine before dessert? How about some fortified wine with duck three ways?


It WORKS, and I've seen a fair amount of pairing of fortified wine with duck, deer, and lamb in Western Europe. I still have yet to see this kind of a pairing in a US restaurant. If anyone has any ideas on why this might be, I would love to hear your thoughts! To me, given how sugar-loving the average American palette is, relative to the average Western European palette, it makes intuitive sense that the opposite would be true and there would be a greater abundance of sweet wines paired with savory food. How different are they really from a boozier soda?









2 comments:

  1. Hi Marco! I think you can find a very similar "ambre" version of this wine here. It may require an extra step - you likely will need a courier or friend who is in Europe to have it first shipped to them. This also made me wonder, are there any intermediaries- specifically for wine- that will help ship small quantities of rare wine from country to country? I imagine due to all of the regulations and laws this isn't possible, but it seems like it could be an opportunity!

    http://www.balsanencheres.com/moa/vente/vente-brocante-vins-et-divers/lot/2-btles-1-rivesaltes-ambre-marc-parce-1968-elevage-47-ans-en-barriques-1-rivesaltes-ambre-la-cuvee-francois-arago-hors-d-age-cuv

    ReplyDelete