Wednesday, January 31, 2018

S'Well Wine?

Last spring, when I was tasting up in Napa, I noticed at one of the wineries I visited that they were selling 25oz S'Well bottles and marketing them as "able to hold a full bottle of wine". 
S'Well clearly endorses, this as evidenced by their 2015 limited edition #OnlyRosĂ© bottle released on a #WineWednesday. 

Personally, I have always had an aversion to putting beverages with delicate flavors into a metal insulated container. The first time I did it with a batch of Chemex-prepared Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee, I lost much of the flavor and nuances of the beverage when consuming it later out of my S'Well bottle.

I am curious whether anyone has actually tried the wine + S'Well combo, and whether it actually turned out well for you?

2 comments:

  1. I haven't had an opportunity to try S'well wine, BUT this made me think of interesting ideas for packaging wine and it reminded me of a business a saw on Shark Tank.

    Copa di vino has a portfolio of seven different types of wine that come in a patented glass-like container made out of recycled plastic with a pull-off and resealable lid.

    The company is Oregon-based and family owned, and the owner James Martin ended up turning down all the Sharks offers because he wanted investment in the winery whereas the sharks wanted to invest in the patented glass for potentially licensing.

    After the show aired, he received many offers for investment in the company, and now to date:

    "Copa Di Vino has sold 38 million cups of wine in places ranging from local convenience stores and supermarket chains to Marriott hotels and sports arenas and stadiums, and the company claims to have made $12 million in sales in 2016. The brand has also expanded to include Copa Di Vino variety packs, t-shirts, beach coolers and even an “outdoor patio bar.”"

    Has any tried Copa di Vino? Seems like a great choice when you don't want to deal with glassware or commit to a full bottle of wine!

    http://abcnews.go.com/Business/multi-million-dollar-product-shark-tank/story?id=23051424

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried putting wine in a s'well, and I think the biggest fear I had was that it wouldn't wash out! Ended up being a non-issue, but I actually think that communicating on the packaging that red and white wine will wash out in a dishwasher would be a huge selling point. We use a s'well to put prosecco in the snow when we go skiing and it makes for the perfect apres accessory!

    ReplyDelete