Friday, March 23, 2018

Wine bottle openers


As I've watched Amanda uncork countless bottles for us each class, I've found myself wondering if there is in fact a more efficient, less intimidating way to open a bottle. To be clear, Amanda is great at it - totally effortless and controlled. But that's the point - most people aren't, and I've watched many of my friends struggle with everything from two buck chuck to a more expensive bottle, in front of friends, parents, and significant others' parents (much more high stakes!).

I was pleasantly surprised therefore to discover a whole range of electric wine openers on Amazon, many of which had actually been reviewed by this website - https://www.yourbestdigs.com/reviews/best-electric-wine-opener/

One of my favorites is by Ozeri. To use it, you simply hit the "down" button, watch as the corkscrew enters the cork, and then press the "up" button when it is finished. The process is super efficient, and hasn't failed me a single time... which begs the question, why is everyone still using older corkscrews that are so much harder to use? Are we anchored to traditional ways of doing things because we want to look like we've mastered it all and/or are doing it "the right way"? Is there room to have new ways of opening wine... just as we're slowly embracing new world wine? 

It's an open question, but I've decided to purchase 4 orders of the Ozeri wine opener as gifts for now, and am planning to give them to the biggest wine snobs in my circle of friends and family to see how they react! I'm keen to see if they'll be pleasantly surprised, grateful, or borderline condescending. I'm also excited to see if they'll actually continue to use the opener beyond the initial trial. Let's see.

For what it's worth, I'm sharing it here because I really love it, and trust that many of you are as excited as I am to continue consuming the yummy wine we've tried in this class.

ENJOY!

https://www.amazon.com/Ozeri-Nouveaux-Electric-Opener-Stopper/dp/B00455ZZAG/ref=zg_bs_3117953011_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=B4W93KAVGHKEF6WDEXXS


No comments:

Post a Comment